Everything you need to know about esports betting odds
But you don’t have to worry if you feel confused. This guide will help you understand how esports betting odds work to ensure you make an informed decision when betting.
With esports gaming becoming popular, gamblers must understand how to bet on different teams. However, successful betting would only be possible if they know some esports betting tips. One of the most critical tips is understanding how esports betting odds work.
Esports betting odds help betters determine the events that have a high probability of occurring. Here, you have two games with two possible events after playing. The thing is, one team will win while the other one will lose. While both teams can win the match, there’s one that has a higher chance of winning.
How are esports odds calculated?
Esports bookmakers use various factors like the history of the teams, form, characters available, among others, to calculate odds.
However, ensure you go through several esports bet tips to learn how to use odds to place successful bets. If possible, visit other esports betting sites to see the odds they have given to the teams you’re interested in wagering.
Line shopping will help you know what other bookies predict about a game, and you may use that information to place successful bets. You may also line shop to look for esports betting sites that will offer you the best payouts if you win. Let’s now find out how esports betting odds work.
Esports betting odds explained
How do eSports betting odds work?
When betting on esports games, looking at the odds may help with helpful information. Betting odds rely on probability to determine which team is likely to win.
If odds favor the outcome of a particular team, the team has a high probability of winning. On the other hand, if the odds don’t favor the outcome of a team, the team has a low probability of winning.
For instance, we can use numbers to determine the probability of a team winning. Let’s say you have two teams, A and B, where team A has 1/2 odds, and team B has 2/1 odds.
When betting, you’ll know that team A has a higher probability of winning than team B. Team A has a 66.7% probability of winning while team B has a 33.3% probability of winning. However, the amount you’ll win when you bet on a given team to win will be highly influenced by the odds.
Bookmakers take advantage of bettors who don’t take a keen interest in how odds help in determining the probability. Your favorite team could be the underdogs, so betting on them to win would be an advantage to bookies. The odds are, your team has a high chance of losing than winning. We’ll discuss further how to read and understand odds so you can bet wisely.
Types of eSports odds
When you join eSports betting sites, you’re likely to encounter odds displayed in different formats. The region and popularity of odds will determine these formats. For instance, most bookmakers will display their odds in three different formats. The three formats are:
- Decimal odds
- Fractional odds
- American odds
Most bookies prefer using decimal odds because bettors find them easy to understand in most parts of the world. However, betting sites in the UK and the US don’t use decimal odds. If you’re from a different region and visit the US or UK, you’ll have to familiarize yourself with their betting odds to place bets.
Fraction odds make the oldest way of displaying odds. Fraction odds were used in horse racing gambling and remain popular in the UK and Ireland. When using fraction odds to bet in esports games, the two teams will have different fractions representing the probabilities of winning. You need to do your math well to know your favorite team and win if you wager on it.
The American odds exist in America, but you may sometimes find them used in Canada. You may find American odds perplexing, especially if you come from other regions. However, once you understand how they work, you may be surprised to realize they are the easiest to use.
Let’s now find out how to read and understand the three eSports betting formats. You’ll also learn to use odds to determine the favorite teams and the amount to win after betting.
How to read eSports betting odds
What are Decimal odds?
When using decimal odds to bet, you should multiply the amount you wager (stake) by the odds. Let’s say your favorite team A has odds displayed as 2.1. When you bet on team A to win with a $10 stake, your total payout will be $21.
You can calculate your winning probability by working out the percentage of both teams. You can arrive at the percentage by dividing one by the odds of a team them multiply with 100. For team A, the winning percentage is (12.1) x 100=47.6%.
If your favorite team has 1/2 odds, and you place a bet with $10 for the team to win, your total payout will be (2÷1) x $10= $20. To find the winning percentage of your favorite team, you take the numerator and divide by the total of numerator and denominator and multiply the results by 100. For instance, your favorite team winning percentage is (1÷3) x 100=33.3%
How do American Odds work?
American odds come with positive or negative odd numbers. For instance, your team could be having odds of +200. That means if you bet with $100, you’ll get a payout of $200 once the team wins.
With unfavorable odds, the numbers displayed mean the amount you would stake to win $100. For example, if your team had odds of -200, the amount to stake will be $200 to win $100.
How different eSports odds work by genre
When you’re learning how to bet on esports, you need to understand how eSports odds work. Let’s analyze different games to find out how their odds work.
MOBA (Multiple Online Battle Arena) games have three significant odds displays. The odds can appear on betting sites in decimal, fractional or American formats. Ensure you understand the tournament and the participants before placing your bets.
The different formats used to display odds will influence how you bet. If you’re using the American version, you need to understand the difference between the two odds appearing with a positive and a negative sign. You can use the three formats to determine the probability of your team winning.
When betting on Battle Royale, you should develop a strategy to help you win. You consider a team or player that has a track record of winning several games. The odds available will guide you to know which team or player has a higher percentage of winning. Here, you’ll find odds displayed in the three formats – decimal, fractional and American formats.
Battle Royale games are CoD: Warzone and PUBG.
If you’re in the UK betting on Battle Royale, your odds will appear in fractional formats. For instance, if you’re betting on a Call of Duty: Warzone game, the two teams playing will have odds displayed in fractional formats. Depending on your region, you may also get odds displayed in decimal or American format.
First-Person Shooter (FPS) games have odds displayed in the three formats. When betting on FPS games, consider looking for games with the best odds and a high winning percentage. You can bet on FPS games like Battlefield, Call of Duty: Warzone, Team Fortress 2, Valorant, among several others.
When betting on eSports sports games, the most popular game is the eSports FIFA game. The good thing is, if you’re a FIFA enthusiast, you’ll enjoy betting on eFIFA since the odd display is similar to that of real football. When betting, look for teams with competitive qualities.
You’ll find that odds will be displayed in the three formats depending on your region. If you want to know which team has a higher chance of winning, the odd display will guide you well. You can also do your math to know the amount you’ll win after betting for a given team.
Real-Time Strategy (RTS) comprises several games, including Age of Empires II or Starcraft II. Odds display depends on the games and the regions where bettors can access them.
Bettors can find odds displayed in decimal, fractional or American formats. One should take a keen interest in odds since they can know the teams or player with a high probability of winning. Odds will also help betters determine their payouts in case their favourite wins.
About the author
Tendai Moyo, a spirited Zimbabwean linguist, combines her rich cultural heritage with an astute understanding of gaming. As a master in English content localization, she tailors online casino guides to the pulse and preferences of Zimbabwean enthusiasts.